Donations are accepted Tuesdays – Saturdays from 12-4pm behind the
Furniture, Décor & More building at 89 N. Clarendon Avenue in Avondale Estates, GA.
Drop-offs are contactless…just place the items on the tables.
Visit our page Donations we Accept for more information about items we do and do not accept.
Why Donate to Second Life
When you donate your gently used items to Second Life, you get to be a hero to homeless pets. Your donations help us create a great shopping experience. In turn, we provide grants to the many animal rescue groups who tirelessly work to make a difference in the lives of homeless and forgotten pets.
By donating your gently-used items, you are giving them a “second life” and keeping them out of the landfill – as well as helping homeless pets find a second chance at life. Recycle and reuse your items today for a greener world tomorrow. What you no longer want is a treasure to be found for someone else.
Can we ask a Favor?
There are several things you can do before donating that would be a tremendous help to our team. Thank you to everyone who is following our requests – you deserve a gold star! You make it so much easier on our team….and it is much appreciated.
- Containers: Please place all smaller items in boxes, bins or bags that we can simply stack upon intake.
- Soft Goods: Items like clothing, linens and purses work best in plastic bags that and can be tied in a bow (like garbage bags). This saves us a lot of time as we can simply stack the bag without having to sort through to pull out fragile items.
- Hard goods: Items like housewares, décor, picture frames, books, etc. work best in bins and boxes that can be sealed/closed and easily stacked. This helps ensure items are less likely to break while in storage.
- Fragile Items: Place in boxes or totes that will protect the items. Any fragile items in bags will require us to redistribute to a box so they don’t get broken – and this takes additional time by our team.
- Sorting: Sorting like items makes it even easier (i.e. clothing only in one bag, shoes in another, books in one box, etc.). Labeling the bags/boxes is a great help. These guidelines aren’t required to donate, but what a difference they make!
- Large items: Larger items (i.e. dog beds/crates, large artwork and décor, storage items, etc.) can be donated without bags or containers.
These are the various Sorting Stations for our Pricing Team – and how we sort items to be brought over. If you would like to help them, this is an easy way to sort your items. Not required, but helpful!
After donating, it’s time for Resale Therapy inside our Main Store, where you can shop from 12-5pm.
Thank you for your support of homeless pets and our mission.
Pickups are not available at this time.
We ask that you not leave any donations unattended outside, as there is a possibility they could be ruined by the weather or stolen – and it is frowned upon by city ordinances.
Think of us year-round for donations – our store successes depends on your donations! We do ask that all donations be clean, “gently used” and in good shape. As a 501(c)(3) organization, your donations are tax-deductible to the extent of the law. For more information, visit the IRS website for details.
All donations are reviewed to determine if they meet our quality standards and are items that will sell in our store. Any items we accept and cannot sell will be donated to other charities or discarded if unusable or unsafe. Thank you for thinking of us!
Due to IRS Regulations, non-profit organizations are not allowed to provide values for in-kind donated items. There are many websites available that provide this information, including the IRS site and donateguide.com.
For non-cash donations valued at over $5,000, you must complete IRS Form 8283. If the value of your item or similar items exceeds $5,000, you are required to provide a certified appraised value of the item before we can complete the required section.
We happily accept cash, credit and online PayPal donations. Visit our Monetary Donations page for details. You can also donate via Venmo for charities: @secondlifeatl
Memorial and Tribute Donations
If you are looking for a special gift to honor a pet lover or beloved pet, please consider a monetary donation to Second Life in their memory or honor. Read more on our Memorial & Tribute Donations page
Pet Food Donations
We are a drop off and distribution point for Pet Buddies Food Pantry, an organization that provides pet food and supplies to families struggling to care for their pets. Their mission is to keep pets and their families together – and the pets out of shelters. They also provide spay and neuter surgeries and conduct various community outreach and education programs.
Drop with other donations behind the Furniture, Décor and More store.
- pet food (canned and dry)
- kitty litter
- non-expired heartworm preventative, flea preventative
- leashes, collars & toys
Open bags of dry pet food are accepted as long as they are not expired. Please tape them up to keep food from escaping the bag.
Reduce. Reuse. Recycle. For the Future.
We are strong believers in keeping as much out of the landfills as possible – we owe it to future generations. The following items are used in our store for customer purchases:
- Plastic Bags and Paper Shopping Bags: We use these for customer purchases (from Target, Trader Joes, Macy’s, etc). We especially love the paper bags with handles!
- Packing Paper: We are always in need of packing paper, tissue paper and bubble wrap for customer purchases. We are unable to use newspapers.
- Old Blankets and Towels: Donated to animal shelters to care for the animals (they do not accept items with stuffing).